5 Good Reasons to Adopt a Pet
Pets are very important for our life. Pets can help you in many ways like a healthier heart, stress soothers, social magnets, better mood, more meaning, benefits for baby’s immune system & social support for autistic children.
If you've ever owned a pet, you already know how much fun and affection they can bring. When you come home to a purr or wagging tail at the end of a stressful day, the sudden wave of calm you feel isn't just your imagination. Research suggests that your fluffy friend truly is good for your physical and mental health. Pets often provide unconditional acceptance and love and they're always there for you.
One of the reasons for these therapeutic effects is that dogs and cats fulfill the basic human need to touch. Stroking, hugging, or otherwise touching a loving animal can rapidly calm and soothe us when we’re stressed or anxious. The companionship of a pet can also ease loneliness, and most dogs are a great stimulus for healthy exercise, which can substantially boost your mood and ease depression. Caring for a dog can also help children grow up more secure and active or provide valuable companionship for older adults.
The American Heart Association has linked the ownership of pets, especially dogs, with a reduced risk for heart disease and greater longevity.
Studies Have Also Found That:
- Dog owners are less likely to suffer from depression than those without pets.
- People with dogs have lower blood pressure in stressful situations than those without pets. One study even found that when people with borderline hypertension adopted dogs from a shelter, their blood pressure declined significantly within five months.
- Playing with a dog or cat can elevate levels of serotonin and dopamine, which calms and relaxes.
- Heart attack patients with dogs survive longer than those without.
- Pet owners have lower triglyceride and cholesterol levels (indicators of heart disease) than those without pets.
- Pet owners over age 65 make 30 percent fewer visits to their doctors than those without pets
The Best You Can Do Is to Adopt a Pet
Millions of dogs are euthanized each year in the United States simply because too many people give up their pets and too few people adopt from shelters. That’s a shocking and little-known statistic that could be reduced dramatically if more people adopted pets instead of buying them. Because there is limited space at shelters, staff members sometimes need to make very hard decisions to euthanize animals who haven't been adopted. By adopting from a shelter you'll help save the lives of two animals. First of all the pet you adopt and second a homeless animal somewhere who can be rescued because of space you helped free up.
5 Good Reasons to Adopt a Pet
- The first and most important is that you save a life.
- Dogs have a way of putting a smile on your face and a spring in your step. Not only do animals give you unconditional love, but they have been shown to be psychologically, emotionally, and physically beneficial.
- You will get a healthy pet. Animal shelters are brimming with happy, healthy animals just waiting for someone to take them home. Most shelters examine and give vaccinations to animals when they arrive, and many spay or neuter them before being adopted.
- You will save money. Adopting a dog from an animal shelter is much less expensive than buying a pet or even getting one free thanks to the services provided by the shelter or rescue group.
- Because all pets are good for your health. Not only do animals give you unconditional love, but they have been shown to be psychologically, emotionally and physically beneficial. And when you adopt, you can also feel proud about helping an animal in need.
In conclusion, except the fact that a pet can improve your health, I believe that the most import reason to become an owner of a pet is that can add real joy and unconditional love to your life.