Spending time with your dog is one of the very best ways to boost your mood and improve your overall health and wellness. After all, it’s an easy way to feel happier and even live a longer life. Indeed, those of us who have cherished canine companions know that the more hours logged with our furry friends the better. From bringing them to the store with you to sticking to healthy dog treats so they live a longer life, there are a few simple things you can do to spend more time with your four-legged bestie. Here are some of our top tips.
Source: Soloviova Liudmyla/Shutterstock.com
1. Help Them Live a Longer Life — The best way to ensure that you get to spend the most time possible with your pet is to do everything you can to encourage a long, healthy life. Pets that are well-cared-for are much less likely to develop long-term health problems that could cut their life short. Here are some things you should do to keep them in good health for longer.
- Swap dangerous treats such as rawhides for healthy, easy-to-digest options like bully sticks or pig ears.
- Provide supplements or treats rich in glucosamine and chondroitin, such as protein-rich jerky for dogs, to support joint health.
- Keep them on a healthy diet that’s rich in protein, vitamins, and minerals to support overall health and wellness.
- Make sure to take care of their dental health, providing regular brushings, dental health chews, and professional cleanings.
- Ensure that they get regular exercise and maintain a healthy weight.
- Follow your vet’s recommendations for medications and supplements, including heartworm and flea prevention medication.
- Get your pets plenty of socialization to ensure that they burn off excess energy and feel mentally stimulated.
2. Bring Them with You When You Go Shopping — Did you know that many of your favorite stores are actually pet-friendly? That means you may be able to run your weekend errands with Fido in tow. What could be better? Of course, many pet supply retailers encourage shoppers to bring along their furry friends. But you might be surprised that various other stores are also hospitable to pets, including many hardware stores, clothing stores, and feed stores. Even some department stores are willing to let you shop with your furry pal, including Macy’s and Nordstrom.
Source: Erickson Stock/Shutterstock.com
3. Take a Dog-Friendly Vacation — We all love getting away from our day-to-day life and enjoying a break from it all. Having your pup by your side is a great way to feel completely comfortable and at ease while you do it. Plus, they need a change of scenery from time to time, too! Make sure to book a vacation that’s as pet-friendly as possible. Get away to one of the many dog-friendly beaches in America or vacate to somewhere with plenty of woods and trails for you and your pup to wander.
4. Make Friends with Fellow Dog-Lovers — Is there anything better than befriending fellow dog-lovers who want to bring their pets along, too? People who love pups as much as you will want to schedule puppy playdates, meet up at the dog park, or even go to dinner or drinks at pup-friendly patios. On the other hand, befriending people who don’t like dogs may limit you from being able to bring your pet along. So definitely prioritize spending time with like-minded individuals.
5. Consider a Dog-Friendly Job — Have you considered working somewhere that lets you bring along your furry pal? It may seem foreign to you if you’ve never worked in a pet-friendly office, but this is a surprisingly common trend and one that’s growing wildly. Whether you trade up for a job that lets you bring your pup with you or pivot to a more pet-friendly career — such as veterinary medicine, boarding, walking, or grooming — integrating your canine companion and your work is a great way to make life just a little bit more enjoyable.
6. Exercise Together — You need exercise and so does your four-legged friend. Why not kill two with one and work out together? There are plenty of amazing ways to make your sweat sessions more pet-friendly, from running with your dog to trying something brand-new like skijoring (a sport where your dog pulls you while you wear cross-country skis). Hiking, biking, and swimming are a few more amazing activities the both of you will enjoy.
7. Let Them Help You Outside — Naturally, dogs love being outside, even if it’s just lying in the cool grass while you rake, garden, or mow the lawn. Pets need fresh air and the occasional change of scenery, so letting them hang out outside with you while you tend to your outdoor chores will undoubtedly cheer them up and help them burn off some energy. Plus, who doesn’t love being in the company of a friend while getting stuff done around the house?
8. Take Them to the Beach — There are so many serene, pet-friendly beaches throughout the world that will help you bond with your pup in an enjoyable, relaxing setting. Just make sure to follow all the necessary precautions before bringing your pet into the saltwater and sun. Plenty of fresh water and shade is crucial for dogs at the beach. Make sure your dog is comfortable with the water and consider bringing a frisbee or floating ball for a fun game of fetch.
Source: Sam Wordley/Shutterstock.com
Having a canine companion is all about spending quality time together each and every day. In addition to bringing your dog along while you work, shop, and get stuff done, make sure to prioritize time spent with them at home. A cuddling session in the morning or before bedtime is a great way to boost your mood and strengthen your bond so you soak up all those amazing benefits of pet ownership. Finding quality time to spend together is always a win-win for you both!