- Eco-Friendly Facts
The Original PoopBags has three types of dog waste bags. We break them down into P for Plants, B for USDA Certified Biobased, and R for Recycled.
Plants: These poop bags are made from plants and renewable resources. They carry the ASTM D6400 rating for composting in commerical facilities.
USDA Certified Biobased: These poop bags are made with a minimum of 38% plant material. Pet the USDA, the increased use of Biobased products help to reduce the adverse impact of environmental and health related issues.
Recycled: Our recycled poop bags contain a minmum of 20% recycled materials. Sometimes this is as high as 30% based on available materials. These bags also contain TDPA Technology from Environmental Products Inc.
- 4 million tons: It is estimated that dog owners do not collect over 4 million tons of dog waste annually.
- 20-30% of all pollutants in waterways attributed to dog waste: Pollutants originating from rainwater run-off via sewer systems, and dogs pooping near watersheds or beaches. Overall, it is believed dog waste is third or fourth on the list of contributors to bacteria in contaminated waters.
- 4th highest generated waste: Plastics are the fourth highest generated waste in the U.S., originate from petroleum which is non-renewable, do not biodegrade, and take thousands of years to break down. Paper, yard trimmings, and food scraps are the top three generated. However, all of them come from renewable resources.
- Plastics are the least recycled with a 12% recovery rate. In 2010, the U.S. produced 32 million tons of plastic and only recycled 3.8 million tons.
Due to evolving laws and regulations on a state by state basis, we have removed the use of the terms biodegradable from our site and packaging. We also note that our compostable poop bags are not accepted in all commercial composting facilities, so please check your local facility. PoopBags.com was founded as an eco-friendly company, and we will always be an eco-friendly company. No matter which dog waste bag you choose from PoopBags, we have done our homework for you so will be saving the world, one poop at a time.
PoopBags has met the rigorous certifications to proudly carry numerous ASTM standards, and we are the only dog waste manufacturer to earn the USDA Certified Biobased label. Additionally, our dispenser is USDA Certified Biobased and made with a minimum of 38% renewable resources such as corn and plant fibers.
Various dog waste bag manufacturers probably use terms such as biodegradability, degradable, dissolves, and others. The ASTM and USDA Certified Biobased specifications are coveted standards, so make sure that whatever poop bags you choose, they uphold to these standards.
The ASTM D6400 specification is the highest badge of honor a product can carry. For more information on ASTM D6400, please click here: http://www.astm.org/Standards/D6400.htm. Our Plant (P rated) based bags proudly meet the ASTM D6400 standard, while our Biobased (B rated) and Recycled (R rated) poop bags meet several national ASTM and USDA Certified Biobased certifications as well.
Additional facts about Plant based dog waste bags:
- Made from a combination of corn, mater-bi, and other renewable products.
- Shelf stable life of 12 to 18 months.
- There are no chemical additives to enhance decomposition. The bags degrade naturally when exposed to the earth’s elements and micro-organisms in the soil.
- “Breathe” – allowing heat and moisture to escape or evaporate. This feature reduces bacterial build-up of collected waste, thus reducing odor.
- Will decompose in a commercial composting environment between 40 and 90 days after use.
- Will decompose in a natural setting at an extended rate comparable to other naturally compostable materials, such as paper, leaves and food waste.
- If the poop bags are placed in an “open” or “turned” landfill they will decompose at a rate similar to other biodegradable/compostable materials in the same setting. If the landfill is anaerobic/locked, no biodegradable/compostable products will degrade – even banana peels.
Additional facts about USDA Certified Biobased dog waste bags:
- Made from a minimum of 38% biobased materials (natural ingredients such as corn, vegetable oils, and plant starch to make the bags sustainable).
- Per the USDA, the increased use of Biobased products help to reduce the adverse impact of environmental and health related issues.
Additional facts about Recycled dog waste bags:
- Made from both post-consumer and post-industrial materials.
- Contain a minimum of 20% recycled materials, but as much as 30%.
- Blended with a proprietary additive that allows them to earn national ASTM certifications.
- Shelf stable life of two to five years.